Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Out Of Retirement?

For those of you who know us, you know that we have been retired for many, many years. The past couple of days has made me reminisce about why we retired early.

It was so that we had the freedom to do what we wanted when we wanted to do it. It was to not ever have to answer to a boss again, just ourselves. It was so that we could sleep in while everyone else was going to work or just get up early and follow our own schedule. It was so that we didn't have to hear that alarm beeping every morning, jump out of bed, get showered and dressed, eat breakfast, pack our lunch, and rush out the door. It was so that we never again had to drive in crazy rush hour traffic. Not doing any of these things has led to a wonderful, peaceful, stress free life. 

The past couple of days that has all gone out the window. I have been getting up when the alarm beeps at 5:30am. I have been jumping in the shower right away, getting dressed, drying and curling my hair, and putting on my makeup. Then on goes the full apron so that I don't get dirty while making breakfast or packing my lunch. While enjoying my second cup of coffee(yes I need that caffeine to get moving), I discuss with Hubby what his plans are for the day. He is homebound because I am taking our only car. But he is a homebody at heart so it doesn't bother him. I just assume that he will have my dinner ready for me when I get home at night because that is what I did when he served on jury duty. Then I rush out the door to drive in rush hour traffic to the court house. As I am driving, I briefly glance to see if I have gas in the car. I make a mental note that I will have to get gas in the next few days if jury duty continues.

Every morning I have to leave very early so that I can get a parking space. The courthouse parking lot is very woefully insufficient to handle all of the employees and all of the jurors that have been summoned plus all of the attorneys, and people who are there for another trial, etc. If you don't get there early, you have to park down the street and take a long walk to get to the courthouse. I would get there about 1 hour early and within 15 minutes every spot in the parking lot would be taken and people would be driving around and around looking for a a space then going back out to park somewhere on the street. The building wouldn't open until 8:30AM for us. I would watch as the employees would start trickling in about 7:45AM.

On our lunch break I would go back out to my car and eat my lunch. I wouldn't dare go home for lunch or move my car for any other reason because I knew that the parking space would not be there when I returned. I would watch other people return from lunch frustrated because they couldn't find a space. Then they would have to hunt in the street again for one. On the second day yesterday, as I ate my lunch during the 2 hour lunch break the judge gave us, I looked up and so many people were eating their lunches in their cars and not moving them either. They learned that lesson the day before.

I would check in by calling Hubby every lunchtime to see how he was doing. The first day the call would have amused most of you. After talking with Hubby a few minutes, he says to me,"What did you plan for dinner?" I said,  "I expected you to make dinner and have it ready for when I get home". He says " I don't know what you have here to eat or what to fix." I said " Honey, there are three food pantries, a freezer and a fridge with a freezer with lots of food. Didn't you plan dinner this morning? Did you pull something out of the freezer to thaw?" He says " No. I thought maybe you took care of that before you left." What he says and what I actually hear are two different things. What I hear when I listen is I am too lazy to plan, prepare, and fix dinner. Sure enough, he then says to me, "Could you pick up dinner on the way home from court?" So I picked up submarines at Subway on my way home.

I was so glad that I did. I was so exhausted when I got home that I poured a glass of Moscato which I drank with my submarine. The last thing I needed to do was make dinner and do dishes.  After I ate, I went to lay down to take a nap because I was so tired. I never woke up until yesterday morning to start all over again. Now don't get me wrong, Hubby did empty the dishwasher, do all of the breakfast dishes, and keep the house picked up. Yesterday he actually entertained two guests who unexpectedly showed up at our home.  I was so disappointed that I missed them. Hubby was actually thoughtful enough to take a picture of them so that I could see them but it still wasn't the same.     

These past two days I have felt like I am working again and out of retirement. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about jury duty. It is my civic duty as it is for everyone over 18 years of age in the U.S. It just makes me remember why we retired. This so much feels like I am working again!

I am enjoying it even though it is a lot of waiting around until the judge summons us into his courtroom. Then on breaks and lunch, it is a lot of waiting around until we have to go back to the courtroom while the process of selecting a jury continues. The process is very interesting but that is a topic for another day.

So as organized as I am, it's been crazy. Every morning, I rush and rush. I make a breakfast of either eggs and sausage or ham because I know that the protein will sustain me until lunch time. Cereal or other carbs won't.

I have been packing a lunch of sliced cheese, dry salami, triscuits, and some peaches that I canned last year. I always make sure that I have two refilled water bottles with me. The building is hot and by about noon you are so dryed out that you really need to drink a lot of water.  I also add some carrot sticks to my Bento box. 

I take my lunch with me every day, my purse, my makeup bag because of course I have to refresh my makeup at lunch. And I also take a book to pass the time in my car. Yesterday I spent some time talking with my best friend, JoAnne, who lives in Chicago. It was wonderful to chat with her and catch up on all of her family and what she has been doing. I miss her. When we lived  close by each other, we saw each other every day for our morning walks. Now it is a long plane ride to see each other.

I also miss chatting with all of you each day. It would be nice to get back to posting every weekday.  However late yesterday afternoon, I was picked as a juror for a trial. I was sworn in and so I start again tomorrow. The judge estimates the trial will take 2-3 weeks. So it is going to be a while before I get to posting normally around here. Please be patient, I will be back.

I have today off(yes, that does sound like I am working). So I have to spend today doing laundry so that I have clean clothes each day, going to the bank to deposit some checks, picking up drugs that have been sitting at the drugstore, making a return, picking up a few groceries for lunches, filling the car up with gasoline, and planning and preparing dinner.

I also have to plan lunches and dinners for the next couple of weeks so that things are going more smoothly around here. More on that this weekend. 

I hope you all have a great rest of the week.

4 comments:

  1. This jury duty sure makes you appreciate retirement, huh? I have thought of picking up a part time here and there, and always resort back to being retired. I love doing things on my own time and according to my own rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AD, this is Chris. Hang in there with the jury, I hope it won't be too unpleasant for you.

    ReplyDelete