Friday, March 3, 2017

This Week's Grocery Shopping

I went grocery shopping in a blizzard early this morning. Before it got any worse, I wanted to get there and get back.

The only things I purchased were a 5 lb. bag of red potatoes, a tartar sauce, and 2- 18 count extra large eggs. You can see my receipt below on the left:


I used a $12.00 Visa Gift Card that was a rebate from Kohl's and paid $ .37 out of pocket.  I needed to get eggs and these 18 count were the best deal at $ 2.49 each. Hubby asked me to pick up a pound of potato salad at the deli to go with our homemade fish fries tonight. The price at the deli was $ 3.99 a pound. This 5 pound bag of potatoes was $ 4.89. I can get 5 times the potato salad out of the bag. Five pounds at the deli would be $19.95. Five pounds that I could make would be $4.89 plus some sale mayo, celery, onion and mustard. You see what I opted for.

The potatoes are boiling as I write. I forgot to check to see if I had the ingredients to make tartar sauce before I left so I picked this one up. Hubby likes Hellman's. Since I have $30. a week for groceries while we are eating from our stockpile, I had $ 29.63 left for this week which will get saved for the grandchildren's education fund. I will not roll it week to week. Anything left each week will get invested.

The receipt on the right is for Burger King. While I was out I got us each a sausage, egg and cheese croissant and a large hash brown to share for breakfast. As you can see I paid with a gift card. 

Well, Slugmama wrote this week of liking to stay caught up with bills and have everything flow nicely. She has had her share of things go wrong the past few months. I wish her smooth sailing from here on.

But things don't always go smoothly as I have found out over my 7 decades. I was just thinking yesterday that we should be able to save a lot of money in March since our cellphone, fertilizing for the summer, and property taxes are paid. I did know that we pay our homeowners insurance this month but I forgot something. Wham! In the mail yesterday came two estimates from our landscape company.

The first was for $1450.44 for spring clean up of our property and to mulch all of our garden beds. The second one was for maintenance of all of our landscaping, gardens, and trees for the rest of the season. That bill was for $ 2168.10. These two estimates equal $ 3618.54. The spring clean up is due now. The maintenance bill could be spread over 5 monthly payments free of interest. We believe the maintenance bill is high based on the hours it took them last year. So Hubby is working on lowering that. If they won't come down, we will get some estimates from other companies. The other option is for me to add the maintenance to my chores. Hubby can no 
longer do it. So that is something that I would have to think hard about. Of course if we opt to hire them, we will charge the bills so that we can get cashback from our credit card. They will be paid in full when the bill comes.

The snow has stopped and the sun shining. Yeah!

BTW, I have all of the ingredients to make tartar sauce. I was considering making it and taking the purchased tartar sauce back to the store the next time I go. But Hubby begged me to keep it. So next time I will make it. I'm hungry so I am out of here to eat some egg salad.

I hope you all have a wonderful money saving weekend.

UPDATE:  Since someone asked, my grocery shopping week started on March 1st and I plan no more grocery shopping until next Thursday or Friday.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Great shopping and I'm sure that your potato salad tastes better than store bought.
    Wow on the cost of landscaping...I think I would get some more estimates too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      The potato salad was delicious. Hubby said it was so much better than store bought.

      Landscaping maintenance is very expensive here in NY especially since there is 8% tax on it. We paid 1/2 of these prices when we were in AZ. Of course that was 7 years ago.

      You have a great weekend too.

      Delete