Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Where Are The Vegetables?

I keep getting the same question over and over again from people who have my old e-mail. So I have decided to put it to rest today.

But first I want to tell you that we are buried with snow. It has been snowing all night again and it is still coming down. According to the weather service totals for WNY, we have won the lottery for the highest snow total as of 8:30AM which is 23.4 inches and it is still like a blizzard outside.  It's hard to believe that Spring starts soon. Hubby is going to have his work cut out for him snow blowing when and if it finally stops. What makes it worse is that it is windy and brutally cold here.

Vegetables seems to be a big topic sent to my e-mail. People seem to be worried that we don't eat enough fresh veggies. First of all I buy fresh veggies in season that we eat. Hubby does not like most winter vegetables. Hence we eat a lot of salads in the winter even though the cost is high. I buy romaine or iceberg lettuce, carrots, onions, celery, cucumbers and radishes. Sometimes I will spring for a tomato even though they taste like cardboard. 

I ran out of fresh celery when I made the soup this week so that will be on my list the next time I shop. However, until I do, we have dehydrated celery and frozen celery which I can use in casseroles and soups. Yes, I cut up and freeze celery when the price is really low during the year so that I always have some on hand.  I can get carrots relatively cheaply all year long so I no longer freeze them. Plus I buy large packages of them and they last a long time in the refrigerator. So do radishes. The dehyrated celery was just opened a couple of weeks ago so is still good. It keeps unopened almost forever in these vacuum sealed cans. And it will keep 6 months to a year unopened.
 
We always have canned vegetables on the shelf in the winter.  Here is a small sampling from my upstairs pantries.

And here is my stockpile of canned veggies in the basement. 

Then of course, we always have a stockpile of frozen veggies. My latest inventory shows that I have 41 frozen packages of broccoli, corn, cauliflower, green beans, peas, peppers and onions, stir fry veggies, green peppers frozen last summer in strips, okra, carrots, etc

So you don't have to worry about us. This is what is left after a long winter and it will hold us well into the fresh veggie season.  Also asparagus are plentiful now and we had some a week or so ago. And we will be having cabbage this weekend.

So thank you to those people who worry about us. I  really appreciate it. I hope this answers your questions.

However the trolls who annoy me with comments every day on the blog can just ride into the sunset because I won't give you a breath of my time. Life is too short! This blog takes many hours a day to keep up. I get nothing from it nor do I monetize it. I do it because I enjoy it and perhaps others can learn from my experiences. So if you don't want to learn don't waste your time and go somewhere else. This is the last word that I have to say to these people who just want to be darn nasty. You should learn by now that I won't publish your comments since I won't give you the time of day. The delete button is so very easy!

30 comments:

  1. I am sorry you get trolls....I enjoy reading your blog very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meme. I do it for all of you who do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi AD, this is Chris. I guess I lost your email address, I remember we had some trouble with that. Guess I never thought about your veggie intake b/c I see you eat so many salads and have things like soup and tomato sauce that have veggies in them. That is what we do also. Hubby has also decided he loves to cook breakfast on the weekend and has taught himself to make omelettes and puts veggies in those. I try to keep sweet onions, mushrooms, spinach, etc for those. And sorry you are having problems with trolls again, that has to be so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      I love omelettes with veggies. Hubby will only eat onions and peppers in his. So we make our own.

      Trolls are annoying!

      Delete
  4. Don't let the trolls get you down. I got quite a few but since not allowing anonymous comments they seem to have died down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Slugmama,

      I won't! I hate to turn off the anonymous because I have so many readers who I have helped who don't want to sign up for a google account.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear that - can you block them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Obscure,

      I wish I could but blogger doesn't allow you to block certain people.

      Delete
  6. Wow that is a lot of snow! Stay safe and warm!
    Sorry about the trolls. I think your meals and menu plans sound delcious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks. The snow has finally stopped. I was praying for it to. I will tell you why when I post tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry you get trolls! People can be so nasty. I, for one, am so glad I found your blog, I love reading your posts and often learn new things I didn't know, had forgotten about doing AND it gues a fresh and new perspective on ways to do things. We are never too old to learn new things. So thank you so much for time and energy you put forth for us 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie,

      Thanks for your kindness. No we are never too old. I will be 70 this year and I am still learning.

      Delete
  8. Just tell the trolls to take a hike. I enjoy your blog and am glad you do it. It is really helping me prepare for my retirement (hopefully soon!). When my husband and I got married he ate what he called 2 vegetables; cream corn and applesauce! He still is not a big vegetable eater where I could live on vegetables. I have the high cholestrol and his is fine. Go figure. I clap when he eats a salad. We're not quite snowed in but snowy and cold. We're in NWPA. I have a sister who lives in Addison, NY and they are pretty much snowed in. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly B.,

      The problem with trolls is they are such cowards that they stay anonymous. I think I did just tell them take a hike in my blog post! :-)

      My Hubby also hates veggies and eats very few. But I love everything, even beets. I love the clapping for salad. Great idea!

      The cold is just bitter. Hubby just came in from snow blowing and he was covered in snow because it is so windy here. I made him a raspberry hot cocoa so he is relaxing now.

      You stay warm too and thanks for your kindness.

      Delete
  9. I enjoy your posts very much and check for them daily. I always use "anonymous" profile because I don't know how to use any of the other choices. There are a few other sites that I would respond to, if the offered me the option of "anonymous". Penny S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny S,

      You can continue to use anonymous. I will just delete the trolls comments. Thanks for your kindness.

      Delete
  10. I never worried at all that you were not eating healthy. But I guess the food police have been investigating you
    oh brother!
    Your snow total is incredible, even though I know your area gets big snows, that sounds like so much!
    I hope you'll just keep blogging and even delete those negative comments if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda,

      I think they were truly concerned. But I have to say that I was amazed.

      I will delete the negativity. Don't worry, I will not let them chase me away.

      We have so much snow. And they are saying we may get more tomorrow. I just wish Spring would get here but I know it's just around the corner. :-)

      Delete
  11. It was in the 70s here last week and now there is a cold snap that will go away on Friday. No snow in the deep South. I dehydrate my own celery, onions, and bell pepper for seasoning so I don't have to purchase them when prices are so high. I love most winter vegetables but have salads most days because I love them.

    I deleted bloggers who were just annoying. One has followed me from another site and after ten years, I finally got her blocked. She is the type who is perfect and never had the problem I describe, mainly chicks that die! You can find out the IP of anonymous and block that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pratical Parsimony,

      Can I ask what kind of dehydrator you have? I purchased one a while ago from online TV and it was so cheaply made that it broke in shipment. I would love to dehydrate my own food.

      Thanks for the tip on blocking. I will have my sons help me.

      Delete
  12. I have to tell you, I just make sure my family is eating veggies every day. I have not noticed what anyone else posts about their vegetable intake. People are weird. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl,

      No these weren't posted. They were e-mailed to me. I don't share my e-mail for good reasons. I learned that lesson when I blogged before. So they have it from years ago. I have one in particular that has chastised me many times.

      Delete
  13. You are doing a great job. I don't have a gmail account, so I appreciate you letting us sign in as anonymous. I have been reading your blog for several months. I check it everyday. I have also read all of your archived posts. They have been a great inspiration. About those trolls: You will never please everyone, so don't fret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,

      Thanks for your kindness. Consider the trolls deleted.

      Delete
  14. I'm a lurker, not a troll, but I had to let you know this post made me LOL!! How 'sweet' that people are worried about your veggie intake! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Little Penpen,

      I guess they were being sweet. I was amazed though.

      Delete
  15. Hi AD,
    It's Linda.
    I love love love your blog. OH, please, OH, please, keep going. I realize it must take a great deal of time to write, and for that, I thank you so very much.
    I have learned so much from your postings--a constant education. It has helped so much financially. That makes me happy.
    As far as my house--we love vegetables. Almost anything goes. But, gee, don't let the trolls get your down. They need to get a life, as we say.
    It is warm here, in the South, and my vegetable garden is beginning to sprout. I have watched the news about the bitter cold and snow that you folks are getting. Please stay safe.
    Thank you again for your kindness in writing. It has been a blessing, and an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      You are so sweet. Thanks for your kindness. I am happy that I can help you.

      Don't worry! I am going nowhere.

      Enjoy your garden. I know that Spring is just around the corner. We just have to get through one more snowstorm hopefully.

      Delete
  16. Its funny that you mention cardboard tomatoes. I never had fresh tomatoes except when i was little and the first time i had them as an adult i realized what i was missing!! Now if i have to get them from the store i get sad, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda,

      I agree with you. There is nothing like fresh tomatoes.

      Delete