Tuesday, April 25, 2017

A Little of This and a Little of That

This is going to be one of those weeks where I stay home most of the time. I only have to take our car in for it's yearly inspection and to have the tires changed out on Thursday. This is a job that Hubby usually does but he has some vertigo right now so I don't want him driving. Since we choose to only have one car, I will wait while they do it. So today I will pick out a good book from my library to take with me.

I quickly looked at the sale flyers for the grocery stores and determined there was nothing of interest to me. So unless I run out of something that we can't live without, there will be no grocery shopping this week. So no money spent there. 

We continue to eat from our stockpile. I really want the freezers cleaned out. So on Saturday I thawed a large top round roast that I purchased the beginning of last year for $3.99 a lb. These roasts tend to be tough so I knew I didn't want to cook it in the oven. On Sunday I cooked it in our crock pot on low for the day. I put a little bit of red wine in the bottom of the crock pot, put in the roast and seasoned it with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. When it was done, I took it out and let it rest for a while. Then we cut it across the grain into thin slices. The au jus that the liquid made is the best ever. It's so flavorful. 

We have been eating Philly sandwiches using this meat, provolone cheese, and sauteed onions every night. We use crusty bread and put some of the au jus on it too. I have been quickly heating up whatever slices of meat we will eat that night in the au jus. They are so delicious that when I told Hubby will be eating them most of the week he was thrilled.
I have been serving a platter of fresh veggies like cucumbers and tomatoes or a small salad each night with them. I have three more roasts just like this one and you can bet we will be doing this again. 

Yesterday we watched a company pick up one of our neighbors riding lawn mowers for servicing. It costs $100. just to have it picked up and brought back to the house. Then of course the tune up or repairs cost. Since Hubby can do this himself he spent part of the afternoon yesterday tuning it up, changing the oil, and sharpening the blades. It is now all ready for the season. Then I swept the garage out getting rid of grass clippings that fell off the underside of it and all of the dirt from the winter. It was a beautiful day to do it.

While I was outside on Saturday and Sunday, I took some pictures of our trees that are in full bloom or just coming out(the redbud above) soon. It is sure looking like spring around here.

I also took a picture of our pear tree which is in full bloom with white flowers. Ignore how crooked the house looks. It is this awful camera. I think it is time to research getting a new one.
 
We have many perrennials poking their heads up but these are the ones in full bloom right now. 

When our son and grandson came on Sunday morning for the big breakfast (eggs, home fries, ham and a slice of cantaloupe) I cooked, my son helped Hubby get all of the patio furniture out back and for our small seating area out front so that is done. He also went to Home Depot for some big hooks and helped Hubby hang the bagger for the riding lawnmower on the wall of the shed. We are very grateful for all that he does for us.

Today I will be washing more windows inside since it is going to rain. Wednesday and then Thursday when I get back from the auto place, I will start the outsides of the windows since it is going to be 70 and 80 and sunny those days. I would like to have all of my windows done this week.

The other thing that I have been doing is researching the wholesale food distributors that sell to the public in my area for things like flour, rice, oatmeal, and beans. One place which is very close to my son's house has phenomenal prices so the next time we visit him we will go there and check them out. I would be very happy to only have to buy these things once or twice a year and store them in my food grade buckets. My buckets are getting low.

I am off to get my day started with oatmeal topped with strawberries for breakfast. I hope you all have a good and productive one.

14 comments:

  1. Your home is pretty. I'm trying to purposefully stay home more too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flowering trees are so beautiful! Happy Spring!
    Hope you get your windows done, makes such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I stay at home the less I spend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your house is lovely! We bought a pear & plum tree for our house, but they are very small still. We also have some sort of a grapefruit tree that is starting to blossom, so looking forward to seeing what comes of that. I sense grapefruit martinis in our future. :-)

    My big plans for the week: figure out times I can work out. My schedule & life changes every so often with work, so I need to re-evaluate, or I get stuck not working out. My pants call tell the difference! I also need to ensure all of the maintenance & yard work is happening on schedule with our rental property. We are listing it in a few weeks. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      I would love a grapefruit tree but it would never survive our harsh winters. Martinis sound good.

      I wish you the best of luck selling your rental! My fingers are crossed.

      Delete
  5. Your pictures are so pretty! I love redbuds! Happy Spring!
    Those Philly sandwiches sound delicious! I need to find a good deal on beef roasts. My family would love that.
    I am wanting to stock up more. I need to check into buying more rice, beans and oatmeal. Along with my wheat, they would keep body and soul together if we had hard times.
    Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I forgot to sign in to comment today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi AD, this is Chris. Great post, your pictures are so nice. Our redbuds and Bradford pear are already done blooming for this year. This week our lilacs smell so good, they are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      Thank you. It's amazing how things bloom at different times of the year in different states. I love lilacs. Mine are just blossoming now.

      Delete