Thursday, April 27, 2017

Can We Do It?

I have a new challenge for us that we are really excited about. We would love for any of you that want to, to join us in this challenge.

As we were looking through our food stockpiles yesterday, we saw quite a few items that have been sitting on our shelves for a very long time. They are items that are edible but that we never seem to choose when we are making our meals. So they linger unused. 

Do you have the odd can or package that just seems to never get opened and used? Do you wonder how you are going to use it? Do you try to remember why you purchased it? Are you tempted to just ignore it and eventually throw it away?  You know, I think we all have those items.

But we never want to throw food out because we paid hard earned money for it. So it just sits. I have quite a few of those items.   

We also took a look in our freezers and found things that are wrapped or in ziploc bags and have been hanging around a very long time. You know, those odds and ends of leftovers that some how get buried in the deep freeze and eventually you wonder what the item is or can't use it because it is freezer burned.

I pulled this one out of my chest freezer last night. It was wrapped in this saran wrap and inside a ziploc bag. I actually had to unwrap it to see what it was. I have thawed it and will make dinner with it tonight. It is a good size piece of leftover ham which I will be putting in the crock pot for scallop potatoes and ham for dinner tonight. The crock pot will go outside on the patio table to cook because it is supposed to be 82 today. I do not want to heat up the house any more than it is going to heat up.

The picture at the top is of items that were in our pantry. They are things that need to get used up because we either don't seem to buy them any more or Hubby decides he doesn't like them.

We have a whole lot of green beans. Hubby told me he loved them but every time I heat them up he won't eat them. So I will be eating them up before they expire. 

The margarita mix came with me from Arizona over 7 years ago. It has never been opened. Can anyone suggest what to do with it besides buy a small bottle of tequila and enjoy drinks all summer? I am happy to buy the liquor but if I could use it in a dessert or something that would make me happier.

I can't tell you the last time that we ate canned soup for lunch. I need to get rid of this vegetable beef so perhaps we could eat it for lunch or incorporate it into some hamburger concoction.

We also have a lot of peas that need to be used up. Hubby won't eat them so I will just eat them as a vegetable at a few meals.

Hubby loved this all white turkey breast that you see in the can. I would buy 4 packs of it at BJ's. I would make turkey salad with cranberries for lunches and we would eat it on crackers. Every time I mention it now, he says he doesn't want it. It is the last can we have. So I think will make a turkey and pasta salad for dinner one hot night in the next two weeks. 

Hubby loved this tomato soup. Me not so much. However he always makes his homemade tomato soup now. So I will make some kind of skillet dish with it.

Hubby loves tuna. I do not. However, all of a sudden, he has decided that he does not like this brand. He is getting very fussy about his food these days. So perhaps someone can tell me what to do with it to disguise it besides making a macaroni salad with it.  

The yams were a purchase at Thanksgiving for me to use. However, my DIL ended up bringing them. So I will have to bite the bullet and eat these up as a side dish in the next few weeks. Hubby won't touch them.

Hubby loves Chinese food and he especially loves water chestnuts. I don't. So I plan on making two separate dishes the next time I make Chinese stir fry. One with water chestnuts and one without.

I have few canned refried beans on the shelf. I make my own beans now. So we will use these up in burritos.

The stir fry sauce is something Hubby hated. So I will put it on my stir fry the next time we make Chinese.

The ice cream topping has been hanging around for at least a year. It was a clearance purchase that I paid pennies for. I can no longer eat walnuts which I have always loved. So I think I am going to throw it in a batch of brownies when I make them. Hubby will eat them. Any other suggestions on this one?

And lastly, I have many bags of cranberries languishing in the freezer. I plan on making a whole bunch of cranberry muffins for easy morning breakfasts to start using them up. 

I am hoping to use up the things in the picture over the next two weeks with the exception of the margarita mix. I will be happy if that is gone by the end of the summer. So I am not putting these things back in my pantry. I am stacking them on the end of a counter and that will remind me to use them up. I will let you know what I end up making and if we use them all up in that time period.

Anyone have this same problem in their pantry or freezer and want to join me in this challenge?

14 comments:

  1. For the cranberries, I can make a muffin recipe that I make all the time. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fresh-cranberry-muffins

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will try it.

      Delete
  2. I am sure you'll rock this challenge.
    I should do it as well(maybe in June when I get back from my trip to VA)but I wouldn't dare but it on the counter as we'd probably have no counter space left! lolz

    If you want a way to use that tomato soup up try this(either use 2 cans or cut down the recipe by half)....
    http://simpleslug.blogspot.com/2009/04/sluggys-beef-pie-casserole-recipe.html

    It's my version of a shepherd's pie except no mashed taters on top, cornbread instead. And if you use frozen veg no need to boil them from fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi slugmama,

      Thanks. Feel free to join in whenever you have time.

      Thanks so much for the recipe. I am going to cut it in half and use up some green beans too.

      Delete
  3. Here's an idea for the can of "yams". Use it to make muffins or bread or a pie(it can be used like pumpkin). You could also make raviolis and fill them with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi slugmama,

      Thanks. Muffins sound wonderful.

      Delete
  4. I add tomato soup to meatloaf . I also use it for the sauce in sloppy joes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara,

      Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks so much.

      Delete
  5. Not exactly the same problem, but similar in intent. We will be moving this summer and I don't want to have to pack and move food. I'm making a plan to use up the food we have stock piled and in the freezer. Great to hear about your challenge as I was thinking about this very thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rozy,

      That's a great plan. Good luck with your move.

      Delete
  6. Hi AD, this is Chris. Good idea. We are eating from the freezer still. Will have 1/2 pig coming in June and 1/4 cow in July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      Thanks. I am envious of your pig.

      Delete
  7. I need to do some of this too. I did use two cans of salmon that have been in the pantry for a long time. I have a few cans of soup that I really need to use too. I could eat your ice cream topping with a spoon!!

    ReplyDelete