Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Grocery Haul Including Easter Celebration Food

I desperately needed some groceries and some meat for Easter. So I went on Tuesday to Top's since it was Senior Discount Day of 6% off.

We have a tradition in this family of having lamb on Easter Sunday. It has to be either Australian or New Zealand lamb. The only time of the year that it seems to be on sale is now. So I was happy to find a whole leg of lamb and a smaller piece totaling 8.8 lbs. for $4.99 a lb. Last week they were $9.99 a lb. Yes, I have been watching the prices for three weeks. Aldi's had it on sale a few weeks ago for I think it was $5.89 a lb. I went to get one and they were all out. It worked out well since Top's had this sale plus I got 6% off of each. So I paid $41.28 after discount for both. 

I also purchased a huge package of chicken totaling 5.31 lbs. on sale for $ 1.88 per lb. costing me $ 9.38 after discount. I will be doing freezer cooking with it today.  

I also purchased a dozen large eggs($.79), frozen broccoli and corn, 3 containers of strawberries, 2 containers of raspberries, horseradish, frozen dinner rolls($.49), 4 vine ripened tomatoes, 2 cans of black olives, and 4 jars of Hellman's organic mayonaise($.99). Total after coupons was $28.47.

I now have everything that I need for Easter dinner so I doubt that I will be doing any more shopping this week. I would normally make rolls but for $.49 it was cheaper to buy the Sister Schubert.   Actually I hope to do very little shopping this month as we continue to eat down our pantries and freezers. 

Did you get any good deals this week?
 

6 comments:

  1. I hit Target for a rare trip this week and using free gift cards I spent $0.00 and received $15 in new gift cards plus some cash rebates through various cash back sites. I also qualified for a free $5 Starbucksk gift card for buying 3 bags of coffee(which didn't cost me anything either). Yeah me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Slugmama,

      You did terrific! Nice shop! It's always such a great feeling to get free things. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. You got some great deals! I haven't been doing much shopping over the past two weeks. My parents are in town & have been buying groceries for meals they would like to prepare. I left them cash & they have been amazing enough to cook for us. My dad is an excellent cook, so we are loving it. It's a huge relief to come home after work & have dinner already prepped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      What a nice thing for your parents to do for you. I would have loved to have someone do this forus when I worked. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Hi AD, this is Chris. I got a ham for Easter 1.17/lb. here. Also grapes .99/lb and eggs were .99 for 18. Those were the highlights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      That is a great price for ham. It is nowhere near that low here. I also love the fruit and egg price. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete