Wednesday, April 19, 2017

My 50% Off Haul & a Grocery Shop

Every holiday I shop the day after to get 50% off the candy. On Monday, I took my grandson to Walmart to see what candy was left that we could add to our stash for cheap. He had a great time picking out some of his favorites.

As you can see in the picture, we made out well. The candy has been added to some that is leftover from Christmas. This candy is for the grandchildren to have a few pieces when they visit. I also use some of the chocolate to make cookies. It freezes well.

My grandson spotted the last Bunny Yoda in the store and his eyes lit up. After running a price check on it, I purchased it for him at $ 9.61. You would think I gave him a million dollars. He sat it up in the back seat of the car next to him. He carried him all over the house.

This is one of the ways that I save during the year. I rarely pay full price for candy for the grands. And we do ration it to make it last. I also purchase next year's Halloween candy by doing this. I really hate paying full price for overpriced sugar. But the grands enjoy a treat once in a while.

After Walmart, my grandson and I went to Burger King for breakfast so that he could get French toast sticks. I had a giftcard that I purchased on a Dollar General deal last Fall which paid for it. While we were eating, I looked at my grandson who had his hand in his mouth and seemed to be fishing for something. I was afraid that he had eaten something hard in his meal. However, he handed me one of his baby teeth that came out. I carefully wrapped it in a napkin and then stored it in a plastic bag when we got home. I assume his Dad called on the tooth fairy to come last night. 

Our last trip was to Aldi's where I picked up these few things. The fruit and grain bars were $ 1.39 and the salsa was $ 1.49. The chicken breast was $ 3.12 and the diced tomatoes with green chilies were $ .45. The grapes were $ .99 a lb. and the eggs were $ .89.  The chips were $ 1.49. The total came to $22.73.

I always have fruit and grain bars on hand because they are used for a quick way to counter a low blood sugar. The salsa and diced tomatoes are going into my stockpile. We go through at least 2-3 dozen eggs a week here. The chips are snacks for Hubby for the rest of the month. The grapes are my snack of choice. My husband asked me to get cold cuts for easy sandwiches so the chicken is what I chose.

I do have to shop at Top's this week but I chose not to take my grandson on that trip. He was getting fidgety after all of the shopping we did. So we went home after Aldi's.  

Did any of you shop the 50% off candy sales? 

13 comments:

  1. Great shopping! Glad you enjoyed time with your grandson! That Yoda bunny is cute!
    I haven't checked the 50% off candy sales yet, but hoping there will be something left when I get there.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      We did have fun. Thanks. Good luck on your 50%+ candy hunt.

      Delete
  2. I just knew you'd hit the after Easter candy sales! ;-)
    I totally forgot about doing that and wasn't feeling well so no matter.
    I'll check Rite-Aid today when I go out but I assume it's all gone by now....at least the "good" candy. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I always do! I am so sorry that you are not feeling well. Please feel better soon.

      I hope you find some.

      Delete
    2. slugmama,
      There was lots of candy at WM today.

      Delete
    3. There was lots of candy on Monday and still mounds of it on Wednesday. I only got Peeps. I really wanted the chocolate. I will get over it.

      Delete
    4. Nice job ignoring it Practical Parsimony.

      Delete
  3. Hi AD, this is Chris. I looked at the candy, but only bought 1 small package of Andes candies. Trying to stay away from as much as I can. ;)

    I had a good run at Meijer today. They are having a $10/$10 sale and you get the 11th item for free. I got 22 various items of things we use like produce, animal crackers for our granddaughter, a few cans of biscuits, Old El Paso items, and a few bags of chex mix. I also got a big 18 ct of Activia yogurt that was not on sale, but hubby likes to take in his lunch and I had a $10 reward from mperks (their reward program) to use on my order. I paid $20.22 OOP for everything and saved $31.49 on my purchases. I also stopped at Dollar Tree and got a few Mother's Day cards. We are fortunate to still have our mothers and hubby's stepmom with us.

    I wanted to let you and the readers know that I got the $10 mperks reward from having a prescription filled at Meijer for free. They have certain ones that they sell for free, and there is also a pharmacy rewards program that if you get 5 prescriptions filled, you get a $10 off a $10 order coupon. The free prescriptions qualify, and the one I am on is a maintenance one I get every month, so after every 5 mos, I get another $10 reward. It is a great program, and any of your readers with a Meijer store should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      Good job not buying the candy for yourself. Thanks for sharing your shop and the info on the prescription deal with everyone.

      Delete
  4. My Wal-Mart has lots leftover

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought about the half priced Easter candy and almost bought myself a bag of malted eggs.... but remembered I am trying to low carb. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrific that you are sticking to your diet plan. Congratulations!

      Delete