Monday, April 17, 2017

Trying Something New.........

Hubby decided to go outside his comfort zone two weeks ago and make horseradish pickles. They are kind of homemade. An old friend from the eastern part of New York used to make these and Hubby loved them. So he found a recipe and decided to try to do it.

He had me purchase a jar of dill pickles and the other items he needed. Most importantly he asked me to get some prepared horseradish.  

He made up one jar just to try out the recipe. He thinks they are delicious but not as spicy as he would like. So he is going to be tweaking the recipe over the next few weeks to get it where he wants it to be. He is going to try using fresh horseradish next time and he might try making them from pickling cucumbers this summer.

Meanwhile he is going to make another jar because I loved them. And that says a lot! I hate pickles! I decided since he made them to just try a little piece off of one that he was eating. They were so delicious that I had to have two more. These are a keeper in my estimation and I will enjoy them whenever I have sandwiches for lunch, especially roast beef ones. 

Here is the recipe if anyone would like to try it:

Horseradish Pickles

Meanwhile if anyone has made these and has a trusted recipe, I would be most appreciative if you would share it with us in comments. 

Also to give you an update, our groundhog has returned home. Yesterday he was out sunning himself on the ramp to our shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment