Monday, April 10, 2017

When You Have No Hot Dog Buns................

I am so trying to make easy meals this week but still work on using my stockpile. So when Hubby mentioned that he was craving hot dogs last night, I thawed some Ball Park franks. However I had no hot dog buns in the freezer. After the three weeks I have had, I was not about to make my own nor was I going to the store. I am truly exhausted!

So I chopped up some onions and sliced up the hot dogs. Then I sauteed them in a little butter and served them with mustard. We had green beans for a side. Not a very nutritious meal but easy.

Then we made ice cream sundaes to celebrate the end of the trial I was on. Yes, my last day was Friday where we rendered our verdict late afternoon. This trial was the roughest thing that I have ever done. We found the defendant guilty on all 6 charges. The case was the rape and choking (strangulation) of two different women. It was very hard to listen to for three weeks.

However there is a bright side. For some reason, all of us jurors got along amazingly well. We forged real friendships over those three weeks. It was truly amazing. Because we could not talk about the case(until deliberations started last Thursday afternoon) during our breaks and lunches, we found other topics to discuss and we laughed a lot. We also all went out to lunch Thursday of the second week and had a terrific time. All of that made the trial a little easier.

Five of us women have forged a true friendship that we want to continue. So we are all Facebook friends now and we have plans to get together frequently.  In about three weeks it will be our first night out together with our spouses too. I have to say that it has been a long time since I met people that I truly wanted to let into my life. It probably didn't hurt when we all told each other our ages the first week and they were shocked that I will be seventy this year. They thought that I was around 54-55. They said I didn't look that old and certainly didn't act that old. They made my day! 

The other bright side is that I earned $560. for those 14 days(we had one day off on Wednesday the first week). Of course, I do have to pay income taxes on it. But believe me when I say I earned every penny. Now I just have to wait until the state budget gets voted on to get paid. I expect I will receive it in about 4 weeks. Also I do not have to serve as a juror for the next six years! Yeah!

This week will be a week of catching up. On Friday night I slept for 11 hours. On Saturday, I picked up the house, did 4 loads of wash and dryed it in the dryer, made a list of badly needed groceries, cut the coupons for it, cleaned up the paperwork from the past three weeks, cleaned the breakfast room and changed the tablecloth. I also vacuumed all of my hardwood floors and wall to wall carpeting. Then I had to get my grandson's Easter gift ready so I could give it to him on Sunday because he and his parents will not be here for Easter. I also had to wrap my DIL's birthday presents since her birthday is Easter Sunday. 

On Sunday, my grandson and son came for breakfast. I made a big breakfast of eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, and fruit. Yummy! We played Pokemon Monopoly again. Then as the temperature heated up to 67 outside, we went for a walk so that my grandson could catch some Pokemon. It was so nice to get the exercise that I have been lacking the past three weeks. We did go for a few walks near the courthouse but most days that we were there, it rained.

Meals were so hectic for three weeks that I just want to make easy things this week. So I think tacos will be on the menu. I will most likely do the meat in the crockpot. Pork chops and rice and perhaps Philly steak sandwiches will also be on it.

While I get things caught up this week, I will be back blogging every day. Bear with me while I get back to my normal. I will put up the March expense report when I have time.

I hope you all have a truly frugal day!


12 comments:

  1. Wonderful news that your Jury Duty is complete. I'm sure it was a wrenching experience to sit and listen to that kind of evidence. But thank goodness for good citizens who are willing to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Florence,

      It was tough but it is behind me now.

      Delete
  2. So glad the trial is over and you survived it. It's totally understandable how y'all jurors got so close.
    My oldest brother was a juror on the Beltway Sniper trial in VA back in 2006. He stayed in contact with many of the jurors on his trial. But the horrors he heard changed him psychologically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi slugmama,

      I am so glad that I wasn't on that trial. Mine was hard enough.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a truly terrible trial to have to sit through. Thank you for doing your civic duty, despite the challenges. And, what a wonderful & unexpected gift to have met people who became friends through the process!

    I hope you get to relax this week, catch up on life, sleep in, & enjoy the peace of getting back to your routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      I am enjoying sleeping in.Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an exhausting and heart wrenching three weeks. I'm glad the trial is over, and I am glad that you made some good friends.
    Please take it easy for a while, and get lots of rest. Hope you have a great week.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thanks. I hope you have a great week too.

      Delete
  5. Hi AD this is Chris. I am sure that trial was very hard for you, can so understand sleeping 11 hours after it was over. Thank you for serving, even though I am sure it was so hard. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi-
    It's Linda.
    Missed you--so glad you made it through a very rough trial. And new friends--super fun.
    Glad you are back. Get some rest--you 55 year old :)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      Thanks for your kindness and the laugh.

      Delete