Wednesday, May 10, 2017

A Little of This and a Little of That

Yesterday was a very stressful jammed packed day. It was the kind of day where I felt like nothing got accomplished but when I look back on it, everything got accomplished.

I have to start with eating dinner on Monday night. As most of you know who read this blog, I have an upper bridge in my mouth that I have spent over $20,000. cash out of my pocket on in the past three years. Well, while eating dinner on Monday, I heard a "crunch", a bit of pain and my gum was bleeding. I couldn't see what had happened but I could feel what felt to me like a crack. There was nothing I could do about it until my dentist opened yesterday. I called and got an appointment for 5PM. 

Trying to keep my mind off of it, I went about my day. I started by making a list of errands that I needed to run in another town. One of those errands was to use my $ 5.00 Kohl's Reward toward another pair of shorts for me. But first, I looked online at the sale shorts. If I could order a pair online and go through Ebates, I could get 15% back(yesterday only), and pick them up at the store. However the only pair I liked were not available at my store for pick up. We have another store but it is 40 minutes away from me. I decided the extra gasoline was not worth it. So I ended up going to the store that is only 15-20 minutes from me on my route to do other errands. I found a pair of jeans shorts just like the ones I already bought. I used my $ 5.00 reward and a merchandise credit so I only paid a little over $7.00 cash. Those 2 pair of shorts that I have now purchased will work well with a few pair that I have had for a while. I am set for the summer. 

While I was out, I stopped at our bank and deposited 3 checks into our savings account. One was the balance of my jury duty pay that finally came and the other two were rebates. It always feels good to deposit money. 

On my way home I decided to stop at B.J.'s. I picked up a large jar of Hellman's mayonnaise, some spices, a large bag of peanuts with the shells for Hubby and a few other items. I was pleasantly surprised that my total was only $44.00. I think that is one of the cheapest shops that I have ever done there. 

Then I came home and waited until it was time for my appointment. I had myself all worked up by the time I went. I had visions of a huge repair bill or everything having to be ripped out and redone. The dentist took a look and said there was no crack. But he did say the bridge had shifted a little bit. That was what was causing what I felt was a crack. It had shifted to the left a "smidgen" and was resting on the recent crown so I could feel a little space. He said nothing seemed to be loose and he did not know what had happened to cause the minor movement. But he said since nothing was loose, he could polish the edge and make it all smooth so that I wasn't constantly trying to feel it with my tongue. That was done and now things feel back to normal. Will it move again? Who knows? Even the dentist doesn't know what caused it. I am just hoping for the best and that this bridge lasts a long, long time.

However, my dentist did something he never does. He didn't charge me a dime not even for the emergency appointment which is usually $ 90. I was very grateful for that.

As you can imagine, I was not looking forward to going home at 6PM and starting dinner. I thought about picking up fast food. But I decided against it since I had chicken thawed to make chicken marsala. I had made rice to go with it before I went to the dentist. I figured it would be fast to reheat in the microwave. I was glad I didn't stop for food because when I got home, Hubby was making the chicken marsala in the pressure cooker. And let me tell you that it was moist and delicious and he made enough for dinner tonight. Yummy! 

My day ended so much better than I imagined. We even invited new friends to our home for dinner the first weekend in June. I am hoping that my Hubby likes her Hubby as much as we like each other. So now I am planning a dinner party. One of my favorite things to do is entertain. And we will be doing a lot of that in June. Besides our friends coming, my granddaughter is coming to stay with us for two weeks after she gets out of school. I am so excited. And of course there will be  huge celebration just before she goes home that my sons have planned. So June and July are jam packed and will be tons of fun.

I hope you are all having a wonderful week. I have lots to do here so I had better get moving.      

8 comments:

  1. What an adventure! Dentists aren't cheap here in Portugal either, but thank God I have the same dentist since I was 7 years old (I'm now 39) and he's a sweetheart!
    Hope that bridge doesn't shift again!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AD, this is Chris. I am so glad your bridge is ok and you don't have to get more work done with it. I am having a quiet week, hubby is working out of town this week and will be back Fri. Just me and the kitty here. It is nice to have a break from cooking, I am eating leftovers and am going to treat myself to lunch out one day. I also wanted to let you know that we got a letter from our mortgage company that they had over with held on our escrow account and our payments will be going down $25/mo in the next year. We also got a small refund check and I decided to take both of those and make an extra principal payment, got another payment dropped off with that amount. I am so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      Thanks for the good wishes. It sure is nice to have a break from cooking. Enjoy! That is fantastic about your escrow. That's the way to get rid of that mortgage payment a little bit at a time.You should be happy! Congrats!

      Delete
  3. Glad the dental fix was quick and didn't cost anything. Always nice to have something to look forward to(parties and family visits and such).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that your dental work is ok! Hope you don't have any more trouble with it.
    So sweet of your hubby to cook supper!
    Hope you enjoy your dinner party, and I know it will be fun having your granddaughter spend a few weeks. Do you have a birthday coming up soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,
      Thanks, I am very relieved. Not a birthday, our 50th wedding anniversary!

      Delete