Wednesday, May 17, 2017

A Small Grocery Shopping Haul and Turning Off The Heat Finally

There was not much that we needed this week except some fresh peppers and tomatoes at Aldi's. But I picked up four Zatarains and another item at Top's.  The rice were all Free after coupons. The tomatoes were $ 1.29 and the peppers were $ 1.49.
 
After running some errands, I was happy to make a caprese salad with a tomato, basil, mozzarella cheese and balsamic vinagrette dressing for lunch. Yummy!

I also picked up 8 cans of white albacore tuna for $1.25 each. Hubby and I do not like chunk dark tuna. So when I saw this price, I stocked. I had not seen this low of a price in years. I was very tempted to buy a case and I am definitely still thinking about it since it is on sale through Saturday. We use this quite a bit in the summer for tuna salad platters and to make macaroni and tuna salad. Cold meals so that we don't use our oven and heat up the house. 

Talking about heating things up, it was time for me to read our meters yesterday and submit them to my company. First I have to tell you that I was not able to get Hubby to turn off the heat permanently yet. I would turn it off if we had a warm day but he would turn it back on about 5PM. He is always cold and even with the heat on he has been wearing a coat in the house. It only ran when it was needed but in the mornings it would come on until the house was 72. I have been patient about it but yesterday was the final straw for me.  

I have been doing a lot of work around the house and sweating through it. So after reading the meter and informing Hubby that we had used 53 CCF's more of natural gas than last year, same period, I asked him if he was planning on keeping the heat on until July. He immediately went to look at his computer to check out last year's bill. I don't think he believed me since I am always complaining about how hot it is in here. After looking it up, he went and turned the heat off. So hopefully it is off for good. I am going to have to seriously look for some long underwear for him to wear. He is going to have to learn to layer. I spent all winter cleaning my house in shorts and a short sleeved top because of how hot it was. It was ridiculous.

I have been taking it as easy as I can this week. I did something in my hip area and have been in pain. I don't think I dislocated my hip but I think I pulled something. So I have been trying to stand as much as possible and to not sit too long. Sitting and laying down kill me. But standing is okay. I am typing this standing up right now. It seems to be getting better every day so I am hoping I won't have to go get an X-ray. Time will tell. 

Tomorrow, I will be back with another post that I have planned. I am going to be changing my shopping strategy yet again and I want to share it with you and the reasons why. Till then............       

8 comments:

  1. Hi, just wondering if you have ever tried Wegmans Solid Albacore Tuna(packed in water). Family pack is $9.99 for 8 cans. I grew up eating Bumblebee, but honestly, I think Wegman's tuna is superior. Give it a try. Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri,

      Thanks. I did not know this. We will try it.

      Delete
  2. Does your husband sit all day or is he up moving around? If he is just sitting then I can understand his feeling cold. Perhaps he needs to be up moving around more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rozy,

      Yes, he sits alot. He moves when he can. He has a bad back.

      Delete
  3. So sorry about your hip. Do hope that you will feel better.
    Great shopping deals. Glad you were able to turn off the heat too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi AD, this is Chris. Sorry to hear about your back and I hope it is better today. Hubby is coming home early from his work out of town and is taking tomorrow off,since they worked long days. We were married 35 years on Monday, so hope to go out to eat to celebrate soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      Thanks. It is getting better every day. Congratulations on your 35th Anniversary and I hope you have 35 more wonderful, happy years. Enjoy your celebration.

      Delete