Friday, May 12, 2017

Frugal Things We Have Done Over the Past Few Weeks

We have been tightening up the purse strings the last few weeks. Since we have been and are spending so much money to have our outside property maintained by our landscape company, we have been very careful about spending money in other areas.

This is what we have been doing to keep the purse strings tight:

- We have been doing very little grocery shopping. We continue to eat from our stockpile and freezers.

- We have been staying home as much as possible so we haven't had to fill up our gas tank in weeks. So today I will be using a discount of $.60 off per gallon to fill up our SUV.

- Hubby has been doing a lot of the cooking since I am getting tired of doing it. He loves looking up recipes online and then making them. He has been great about using up what we already have. I am wondering how long I can milk this because I am loving it.

- I deposited $ 213. in checks into our savings account this week.

- I am still using our dryer to dry the clothes and loving it. It takes me an average of 35-40 minutes to dry a good size load using the dryer balls. These dyer balls make the use of dryer sheets or fabric softener unnecessary. 

- We went to Niagara Produce and purchased two beautiful hanging baskets of annuals for our front porch area. It is the only annuals we get since all of our other flowers are perennials. It still gets cold here at night and there can be a chance of frost. However the baskets are easy to remove and put in the garage overnight when we have frost warnings. NP has the best prices on these plants and they are very healthy.

- I am back to baking all of our bread as we need it. We are using up some that we have in the freezer and baking what we need that we don't.

- I made homemade brownies twice and coffee cake once. I am making more and more of our snacks and not buying junk food.

- Hubby made more horseradish pickles. Yummy!

- We have not had to water our lawn since we had so much rain. That is a bonus.

- I washed and detailed our car here at home. I did a better job than the car wash does. It's always nice to get the winter grime out of the car.

- Hubby informed me that the sole is splitting off one of his sneakers. I pulled out a new pair of sneakers from our closet stockpile and told him to throw the old ones out. It pays to buy sneakers when they are at rock bottom prices and stockpile them. 

- We still have our heat on because Hubby gets cold easily. It doesn't run much during the daytime. But we still need it at night. However it looks like we may be able to turn it off next week since we will be in the 70's. I would love a month without a huge bill. We have to start conserving more energy since our utility company has asked for a huge rate hike for gas and electricity. History shows the regulators will give most of it to them. 

- I like to have a treat in the freezer for when my grandchildren visit. So rather than purchase ice cream or fruit bars, I made a blender of strawberry fruit smoothies and filled my popsicle molds and then froze them. My grandson loved them.  

- We have been using our reusable K-cup more often which is saving us money. Ground coffee is cheap.

- We are enjoying playing Monopoly more frequently. It is cheap entertainment.

- We are making more and more meatless meals. They are much cheaper to include when making our weekly meal plan. I love eating Hubby's salads.

- I have been walking every day for exercise. It doesn't cost a penny.

- I continue to hard boil a dozen eggs on Sundays which we use for snacks, breakfasts, or egg salad during the week. It gives us our protein without having meat for breakfast or lunch. 

- We brought our library books back and got some more to read. 

- We continue to use a water bottle that is refilled from our filtered water at home. Whenever we leave the house, it goes with us. 

That is about all that I can think of right now. My mind is a little foggy at the moment because my youngest son was in a bad car accident last night. I think the Lord was watching over him because he walked away with just a scrape from hitting his head. His Toyota Prius was not so lucky. He was sitting stopped behind a vehicle that was waiting for traffic to clear to make a left hand turn. He glanced in his rear review mirror to see a car come over the hill and not slowing down behind him. Too late to do anything about it, the car plowed right into the rear end of his car. The force pushed him into the car in front of him. His car is totaled. Looking at the pictures, I am amazed that he only had a scrape from hitting his head. But I also can't help but notice that the back seat was badly damaged. Thank you Lord that my grandson wasn't with my son last night. 

Times like this show you what is most important in your life. We are so thankful that our son is okay. The car is just an object that can be replaced.

16 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that your son is okay! What a relief. One of my son's best friends was hit by a car yesterday. He's 11, and was biking home from school. The driver pulled his bike from under her car, & then left him in the street. Who does that? :-( He's going to be okay, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      Thank you. Thank God your best friend's son is going to be okay. I hope they find the person who left the scene. Unfortunately there are too many people today who have no regard for human life. UGH!

      Delete
  2. How awful! So glad your son is ok. I hope the idiot who hit him has good insurance. ;-)
    Somebody rear ended my parents at a toll booth when I was a teen. Had I been in the backseat with them I wouldn't be here now and they had a huge car back in the 1970's.

    I'm planning this summer road trip and I am not feeling very frugal right now. ;-)

    Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Slugmama,

      Thank you. I hope the insurance is good too. Thank God you weren't with them that day.

      Trips are never frugal. But you have plenty of money for the rest of your life so enjoy all of the trips. We did until Hubby's back wouldn't allow him to do it anymore. Now just I go to Disney World every other year and I don't really worry about the cost. I go and enjoy every minute of it with my children and grandchildren.

      You have a great weekend too.

      Delete
  3. OH wow, how scary for your son! I am glad that he is ok! Hope his neck isn't too sore this morning. And I'm glad your grandson wasn't in the backseat. Definitely something to be thankful for today.
    Hope you have a good weekend.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Very scary! He is going to call later so I will see how he is feeling today.

      You have a great weekend too.

      Delete
  4. Wow. That is amazing about your son. Yes, the Lord was watching over him. That's one of my biggest fears (which has happened to a few of my friends) getting hit from behind with no where to turn or get out of the way.
    Cindi
    Praise God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy,

      It is one of my biggest fears too especially in this day and age of texting at the wheel.

      Delete
  5. I am glad your son is okay. It sounds like the Lord was watching over him and your grandson. When something like that happens, it really puts things into perspective and reminds us of what's most important.
    I enjoyed reading the things you've done or haven't done to tighten the purse strings lately. I needed some encouragement in that area today. How wonderful your husband enjoys cooking! Mine quite often fixes his breakfast (when he eats breakfast) and lunch so I am thankful for that. He loves his snacks so as long as I have plenty of those, he's happy.
    Have a good weekend and Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks olderandwiser. He is a bit sore today.

      Mine usually cooks his own breakfast and lunch during the week only. But he is on a dinner cook and I am letting him.

      I am glad that your Hubby is happy with his snacks. Mine likes his too.

      You have a great weekend and a Happy Mother's Day too!

      Delete
  6. HI AD, this is Chris. I am so glad your son is ok. That was sure scary. I always love when you do the saving posts. I went to look for some shorts this past week and found a couple pair at the Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      Thanks. Nice score at Goodwill. Our Good will is not very good here so even though I look every once in a while, I don't have much luck.

      Delete
  7. HI AD,
    This is Linda. I am so glad you son is ok, and your precious grandson was not in the car. GOD was looking after your family.
    The garden is starting to produce, and I am hoping for lots of tomatoes to can. They are so good. Growing and picking our own food certainly reduces the grocery bill.
    I enjoy reading of your purse-tightening strategies.
    Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda,

    Thanks. Enjoy your garden this year. You have a Happy Mother's day also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So grateful your son is okay. What a nightmare. Love your money saving strategies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Out My window,

      Thanks! I find myself checking my rear view mirror more often now. It really freaked me out. Especially after seeing the pictures of the back seat and what happened to my grandson's car seat. Everything collapsed into the front seat. My son is going to be buying a bigger car because this really scared him. Amazing how poorly his Toyota Prius didn't hold up.

      Delete