Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Grocery Shopping Haul


I did a meat stock up trip yesterday. I have very little left in my freezer that isn't turkey, beef, or too large to be used in the warm weather. So I went to Top's and purchased 14 of the Smithfield Ham slices that you see pictured. Some are going in the fridge because they don't expire until June 15th and the rest have been put in my chest freezer. 

I use these ham slices for our Sunday breakfasts and Hubby likes to make ham salad from them. Plus they are just perfect for us to split with a side of beans for dinner. They were on sale this week for $1.84 which is a fantastic price for my area. Plus being it was senior citizen discount day yesterday, I paid $1.73 each for them.

The I went to Save-A-Lot. My store used to be a dump. However, we have a new manager and he is doing a wonderful job cleaning the place up. I made sure to meet him today and tell him that I am impressed with the way things are looking.

They had both T-bone and Porterhouse steaks on sale for $4.99 a lb. So I got two of each. If we like them, then we will try other meat there. The only other meat I have tried is chicken and it is good. They also had corn on the cob on sale at 3 for $1.00. So I got 3 for Hubby and I to share tomorrow for dinner. I may go back to get their 3 day sale items tomorrow since I have an appointment close to them.
Other than those things my grocery shopping is done for the week.

Have any of you gotten any great meat deals recently? Do any of you buy meat at Save-A-Lot?

8 comments:

  1. You got some great deals on the meat. We no not have a Save A lot here but we do have Winco. I have found some of my best deals at Walmart on meat. I know that some people don't like their meat, but we have always had good luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,

      Thanks for sharing. I will keep an eye on Walmart.

      Delete
  2. The Save a Lot that we had here in our town closed down recently. Their meat was only so-so, not nearly as good as our local Piggly Wiggly. Also, it was usually priced a little higher at Save a Lot. They had really good prices on canned goods as well as frozen vegetables. Produce was usually higher at Save a Lot also. I do miss having our Save a Lot as many items were a really good buy. Penny S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny S.,

      That is a shame that it closed.

      Delete
  3. That's a very good price on the ham slices! We like those, too. So easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No SavALot in my area but you got great deals.
    I haven't bought ham steaks lately but I used to cook them when my children were growing. They were a quick meal that everyone liked.
    No great meat deals but I did buy a small shopping cart full of very nice hand towels and washcloths, on clearance at Walmart, for .50 cents each. I restocked our bathrooms and shared them with my parents, son and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda,

      I love your buy at Walmart. That's a good enough deal for me to use them for cleaning the car. I may look at mine.

      The ham steaks are so handy for our Sunday breakfasts because my son only eats protein and fruit. So we alternate eggs with ham, sausage, and bacon.

      Delete