Sunday, May 21, 2017

Menu Plan Changes

Have you ever wondered what you are going to have for dinner and just can't make up your mind? Does making dinner every night become a drag for you? Are you tired of sitting down to make a menu plan for a week or a month?

Believe me when I say that I am tired of it. I don't even want to think about how many meals and meals plans I have made over the years. Let's see. Three meals a day for almost 50 years minus about 24 meals eaten out a year would be almost 53,550 meals. That makes my head hurt!

It's not only the number but the time to shop, plan and make them. I came across a woman named Tiffany who sells meal plans. I am always leery of paying for something that I can do myself. So I watched her videos for a while and then tried a couple of meals that she shows. Hubby loved them.

Hubby who is a real fuss budget(and has gotten worse over the years) sat down and watched some her videos with me. We noticed that her meals were easy, full of flavor and variety, and healthy. I especially like her Whole Foods plan.

I also read in comments on her videos how so many people were saving money every week on their grocery bills following her plans. Well you know that I am all about saving money!

So Hubby( Mr. Fuss Budget) says to me : "Why don't you buy her plans?" It would save you time every week. I don't have to be told twice. So I purchased her 3 month plan. It's a little more expensive than buying a year's worth but a little cheaper than buying a month's worth. I figure a month is too short to make sure that we really like her recipes. But I didn't want to commit to a year before I am sure.   

She has 3 different plans: Whole Foods, Slow Cooker, and Traditional. You also get some Freezer Meals. She gives you a month's worth at a time when you buy her plans. The plans are fantastic because they not only give you a menu plan to print out and put where everyone can view it but she gives you each menu and a grocery list for the week. The recipes and grocery list are color coded so that if you don't make every meal every week, you can easily skip or cross out the ingredients that you aren't going to use. I am finding that many of the ingredients for her meals I already have in my pantry and freezer stockpiles.

You can just follow the entire meal plan for the week or pick and choose which ones you are going to make. Hubby is so fussy that I was sure he will not want  me to make some of them. So with that in mind, here is my Menu Plan for the week:

Sunday: Red Beans and Rice with Ground Turkey(my recipe) and Salad- already had the food thawed.

Monday: Terriyaki Chicken, Roasted Potatoes, Broccoli

Tuesday: Leftovers from Monday

Wednesday: Italian Pork Chops with Tomatoes in the Crockpot( served on rice or noodles), Salad

Thursday:  Leftovers from Wednesday

Friday: Grilled White Fish, Salad Greens with Berries and Dressing, Baked Potatoes

Saturday: Leftovers from Friday. I may make Fish Tacos

We always eat our leftovers but you could make a  new meal everyday. Her recipes are for small families (3-4) and large families (6-8). Her quantities are plentiful. So her meals make more than enough for each serving. So we will use the one for small families and have two meals using leftovers. Or many of her meals are freezable for the crock pot, so I can just split them and freeze them and that will give us more variety.  

So this is a new journey for me that I am looking forward to. I am never too old to learn a different way.

If you would like to look at her site and get a free meal plan, here is her link: 

Eat At Home Cooks 

I am just starting on this journey and will let you know how this works for my family as we get more into it. 

Disclaimer: This not a paid referral link. 

7 comments:

  1. You are much kinder than I. In our house, the only one who gets to fuss about the food is the one who prepares it. (Almost always me.) Whiners get to fix the next day's dinner. Dh once griped about my menus. Hey was whining that "we always get abc, why not xyz.?" I told him one of the few advantages about being the person who does all the cooking is deciding what to cook. I call it cook's privilege. If he has menu suggestions, he is freee to make them, in a polite, respectful manner, as are my kids, and I will try to accommodate it within the coming weeks. If he is going to complain, then he can do the cooking. I try to take into consideration people's various preferences, and do not force them to eat anything they dislike, but they need to be, if not gracious at the table, at least polite. Who do they think they are to whine about the food they didn't even offer to help prepare? Dh won't make that mistake again. My other pet peeve is, after announcing that dinner is on the table, hearing a kid, or dh, even, ask "what are we having?" Well, get yourself to the table and find out. I have declared that if a kid (or dh)is not at the table within five minutes of us all being served, then he has lost all claims to his dinner, and dessert. Nobody needs to save anything for him. In all fairness, I let them know when dinner is about 15 minutes out, so they know to not, say, jump in the shower. If they come after the table is cleared, they are relegated to PBnJ's. I know it sounds harsh, but believe it or not, by and large, my kids have great table manners, (so I have been told) and are, for the most part, very adventurous eaters. They also all enjoy taking part in meal preparations. If anything, dh is the one most inclined to fussiness, but, again, it's not allowed. Eat what you want, leave what you don't, and enjoy the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg,

      Thanks for sharing. Hubby didn't start complaining until he was over 70. I think part of the problem is that his taste buds have dulled since he has aged. So I give him grace as he grows older. He has never been disrespectful.

      Neither my children nor he ever complained about meals or what they were eating until he turned 70 and my children still love my food when they visit.
      I am just tired of cooking.

      So we will try a different way and see if Hubby likes these meals better.Hubby has been sharing more and more of the cooking. Since Hubby is disabled, more and more of the burden of caring for our home,him, and running errands falls on me. I am capable but there are only so many hours in the day so if the meal plans help cut some time from my week, I will be very grateful to have them.

      As far as coming to the table, I have never had that problem.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm...food for thought. (No pun intended.) My dh is considerably older than me, and his griping incidents were fairly recent....past 2 years. I do know his sense of smell has become limited with age. Maybe it's connected?
      I am looking forward to hearing about this meal plan.

      Delete
  2. Hi AD, this is Chris. I will be interested to see how you like this. Figuring out what to cook is what I hate the most. Luckily my hubby is not fussy about stuff. Our son in law is, though, so when he comes over I have to think more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      I am loving the meal plans but I am only a week into it. More to come.

      Delete
  3. Let us know how you like the menu planning service. I get so tired of cooking sometimes.
    I did the emeals a long time ago, and they were pretty good, but used a lot of convenience foods (they might have changed since then)
    Enjoy your break from meal planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      I am loving the meal plan especially the whole foods one. But more to come since I am only a week into it.

      Delete