Sunday, May 7, 2017

Yes, I Played Hookie!

Yes, I played hookie last Thursday and Friday and it felt good! Sometimes, you just have to step back and take a look at your life and rearrange things. So when I had writer's block those days, I did other things instead.

I started on Wednesday getting rid of a few things in my wardrobe. So on Thursday, I tried on every piece of clothing in my wardrobe and decided whether it was too tight, too loose, too old, I just didn't like it, or I hadn't worn it in a year. I had two baskets that I put the clothes that I didn't want to keep into. One was for donations and the other for trash. A lot of the clothes were in like new condition but I just didn't like them or they didn't fit so I decided I would bless someone else with them and took them to the Salvation Army.

It was not an easy task but one that needed to be done. It was very hard to donate the dress that I only wore once to my youngest son's wedding. But I knew I would never wear it again so it needed to go. It was also difficult to part with a suit that I would wear mainly to funerals. But more casual clothes will do for those occasions.

Do you know how freeing it is to have everything in your closet wearable? I can lay my fingers on any piece of clothing in my wardrobe now and know that it will fit and that it looks good on me. When I look at something in my closet my mind isn't thinking about those things that weren't wearable. I got rid of the clutter and stress. It feels really good. 

Then on Friday, I actually got up and went for a long walk in the rain. I came home soaked and ready for a hot shower but I loved it. It has rained here for over a week and there seems to be no end in sight so I took advantage of it. Instead of letting it get me down, I enjoyed it.

After my protein breakfast of ham and eggs, I decided I would get rid of every piece of paper in my home that didn't serve a purpose or that could be scanned into the computer. I do this on a somewhat semi-annual basis but it had gotten out of control. I actually had one large deep drawer full of nothing but papers that I thought I should keep. You know what, it was just clutter. I ended up recycling or shredding
every piece. I guess they weren't that important after all.  

So I am getting rid of all of the clutter in my life. And that includes schedules. We retired early in our lives so that we would have freedom. Lately that freedom feels more like work. Sure we have appointments to go to and we have to schedule them. We entertain and have friends over and we schedule those things. But the rest of the time, we want to be free to do what we want to do any moment of the day. 

We want to work and we want to play but when the whim hits us not when it is scheduled. We had another death in our family on May 1st and nothing made it clearer about what we want to do than losing another family member. Time is short so we want to enjoy every minute of it. 

So I will no longer be blogging every weekday. But I will be blogging when I feel that I have something that is important to talk about or to tell you. That can't be put into a schedule. With that said, today is Sunday and I am blogging to you. When will I blog the next time, I don't know. It could be tomorrow or it could be Wednesday. When the whim hits me and I don't have writer's block, I promise I will blog. Until then. 

7 comments:

  1. I love what you accomplished, how it made you feel, & think that your conclusion is perfect! Enjoy the time you have & don't feel burdened by responsibility, other than to yourself & your family. I will enjoy your blog when you have time to write it.

    Also, LOVE the paper trick & must go through & adopt a similar approach at my house. I am really good about clothing & ensuring I'm regularly trying things on & getting rid of what I don't wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the loss of your family member. Life is short, and I am glad that you will make the most of it.
    I like your idea of going through your closet. I really need to do this.
    I have been feeling so funky and grumpy lately. Part of it may be due to weather and world events which are out of my control.
    We'll be here whenever you feel like blogging. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! A good way to get out of that funk is to rid yourself of some stuff. :-)

      I quit looking at the news online and on TV because there is nothing that can be done about it by you or me. So unless there is a major catastrophy, I am ignoring it.

      I hope you have a great week too.

      Delete
  3. Hi AD, this is Chris. I am sorry for the loss of your family member. We have had rain here this past week also. Good idea on the closet, I should do that also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you for controlling the blog rather than letting it control you!
    I am having a hard time filling up 6 days a week of posts, especially in weeks were I don't go or do anything. Maybe I should scale back too?
    Sorry about the death in your family. Those are always hard and a jolt to your own life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sluggy,

      Thanks. You have to do what is right for you. The blog is not a high priority on my list. If it was a blog that was paying me money that would be different but it's not.

      Delete