Wednesday, June 14, 2017

I Am A Practical Person

Any of you who have read my blogs for years know that I am a very practical person. If I can save a few pennies or a few big dollars here and there I will.

As I showed you in this prior post Gift Wrapping ,
I hate to spend money on wrapping presents. Especially presents for my children(when they were little) and my grandchildren now.

I would much rather spend the money on the actual gifts instead of the paper or cards. So I either make the cards or get them at Dollar Tree for $ .50 to $1.00 each.

One thing I noticed and still do is that kids only want to get into the gift so they don't care about the wrapping. They tear that paper off as fast as they can whether the wrapping was free or cost $ 5.00. 

So this week I have been wrapping my granddaughter's birthday presents. Many of her gifts get shipped to her so I don't put bows on. I have her Mom put them on at their end so they don't get crushed.

This year we bought her a few things( she loves books) from her list and honored her request for an Amazon gift card. She is getting older so she is into gaming. She also loves DVD's that she can watch over and over again. So she has fun now shopping online with the gift cards she receives.

So here is a picture of all of her wrapped gifts before I packed them up. Besides the comics that I have used for years to wrap them, I had a deflated mylar balloon that I got for my birthday last year. So I used that to wrap one her books. It's cute and colorful. I wish I got more balloons but usually it is just one a year. I also had a piece of birthday paper leftover that was just the right size for one package. Believe me when I say that it is all about getting gifts that they will love and not about the wrapping paper.
And if there is a birthday party, I really don't care what other adult guests might think about my wrapping. I am not trying to keep up with the Joneses!

15 comments:

  1. I love the idea about using the Mylar balloon for wrapping. It looks great, even better than wrapping paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I honestly cannot remember the last time I purchased wrapping paper. With my kids and grandkids living out of state, I rarely ever wrap anything. They have a "running wish list" on Amazon, so whenever an occasion arises, I pick something from their list and have it sent directly to them. They are all just as happy opening the package that comes in the mail...even without fancy wrapping paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy,

      We have sent things to them that way too. It is quite a savings. Shipping is expensive.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, the balloon is creative! Love it. We use gift bags at our house, and continue to reuse, reuse, and reuse. But, we're not mailing packages, which makes it easier. When the boys purchase a gift for a friend's birthday, it's typically a gift card, which they don't wrap & simply put into a card. When there is the rare gift that they need to wrap, we have a few rolls of paper to choose from.

    We also don't buy cards for specific occasions. I buy a box of 50+ cards/envelopes at the craft store or Target. The cards are usually 4 different colors. We make our own cards for each holiday. I can't imagine how much it saves. Cards are a fortune! I also find that the cards the kids make are hilarious and they typically draw a picture, so it's a win/win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hawaii Planner,

      Thanks. I always hated throwing those mylar balloons out.

      I love the ease of gift cards too. That is a nice gift for the boy's friends.

      I have a huge roll of brown paper that I can use also. It can be decorated with stamps, stickers, hole punches, etc.

      I love your card making idea. Do you remember what they cost at Target?

      Delete
    2. If memory serves, they were maybe $10-12 for a box of 50? Something similar to this, but without the text. I've also found good deals on similar sets of cards at craft stores. https://www.target.com/p/blank-note-mixed-sentiments-50-ct/-/A-15723796

      Delete
  4. I love this! In my family we use quite a few gift bags. We pass them (and the tissue paper) back and forth and see just how long we can use the same bag until it is no longer usable or we give it to someone outside the family and we don't get it back!! Lol I make my own cards from colored cards I buy on clearance at like Micheals or Dollar Tree and decorate them myself with stickers or handwritten quotes. I could care less about what the Joneses are doing--chances are they are broke and I'm not!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie,

      I love your gift bag idea. Problem is that I don't have any to start with except for Christmas ones that I do reuse.

      I love handmade cards because they are so thoughtful.

      I am right there with you on the Joneses!

      Delete
  5. Good idea about the mylar balloon. Never thought of that. I hate hate it when people just tear into wrapping paper and then throw it away. I save as much as possible, and have been known to iron it (especially tissue paper). Growing up, we unwrapped gifts carefully, and some of the paper got to be like an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chipmunk,

      Thanks! I hear you on reusing paper but usually by the time the grands are done with it, there is nothing to rescue. So comics are free with the paper that my husband is buying anyhow.

      Delete
  6. Perfect!!!! I recently bought a last minute birthday gift and bought wrapping paper and a card for FULL price because of my poor planning! Ouch!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't beat yourself up. Those things do happen.

      Delete
  7. I too can't stand to spend so much money on gift wrap and cards. I get most of my cards from the Dollar Tree or I buy them in bulk at yard sales and thrift stores. I also buy bags of ribbons at thrift stores and yard sales. For graduation gifts this year, I bought big beach towels on clearance last Fall and then folded and just wrapped them with some of my sale priced ribbons and attached a card from the Dollar Tree. Each gift, including the card and wrapping, cost me under $10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,

      I love your graduation gift idea! Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete