Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Waste Not, Want Not!

In our quest to always use up our leftovers, I did a great job yesterday.

Since we were craving soup, I made chicken noodle. We had leftover diced onion (that had been served with hot dogs recently), the last couple of stalks of celery that were getting soft, frozen cooked chunked chicken (from when I cooked a huge package of chicken), and leftover spaghetti (from when I made Shrimp Dia Fravolo). Those items and a jar of homemade soup stock that I pulled out of my freezer made this quick luncheon meal for us. I didn't have to season the soup because the chicken was seasoned when I cooked it. I just used my kitchen shears to cut up the spaghetti into the soup. Hubby loved it. It was ten times tastier than opening a can of Campbell's. It was definitely healthier. We have enough left for lunch today.


Breakfast was frozen leftover ham, the last of the muffins that I baked the other day and once over easy eggs. We have a lot of eggs right now so eggs will be on the menu a lot this week. A bunch will get used up making breakfast pizza for our family breakfast next Sunday morning.

I also boiled up a 8 eggs over the weekend. These will be used for egg salad and snacks. There is no need to put them in a separate bowl. I just put them in my egg container along with unboiled eggs. I mark and x on the boiled eggs before I put them in. 

Lastly, I used up some leftover cooked ground turkey in our red beans and rice last night. We don't always add extra protein because the beans have plenty. However Hubby loves ground turkey so I added it. The leftovers from this meal will be used for lunches.

Every few days, I look at what leftovers we have and I use them up in our next few meals. Food is very expensive so there is no way that I am going to waste any of it. Wasted food is wasted dollars!  If you are throwing out a lot of leftovers, you might as well save all the time of shopping and preparing the food. Just burn your dollars! 

A side note:  One of the things my family did for our 50th anniversary was fix a huge table of food to nibble on after we returned from Canalside about noontime. All of the leftovers were put in our refrigerator. I left for Albany the next day for a week. Hubby never cooked all week. He munched on those leftovers all week trying to use them all up. There was tons of cheese and crackers, hummus and chips, dips and chips, sliced meats, blueberries, strawberries, etc. I helped when I returned home so we only have a but of cheese and some of the blueberries left. Those blueberries are going in homemade pancakes this morning.  

10 comments:

  1. HI AD, this is Chris. I missed your anniversary picture. :'( I understand you not wanting to leave it up, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put it back up for you. Let me know when you have seen it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, AD. I love it!!!! <3

      Delete
  2. I missed it too. Would love to see it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle,

      I will put it up for a few more minutes.

      Delete
  3. Great use of leftovers! I'm trying to get better about not wasting food, but some still gets by me. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn, I missed it again. I forgot to look. Maybe you can tell me a time to take a look. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle,

      Send me your e-mail and I will send it to you. I will not print your e-mail.

      Delete